Friday, December 16, 2016

Treasuring the Time for Tucking Them In

"But how do you know when something you've done is a sin?" Marike climbed up on her bed and blinked up at me.

I broke my own rule about not giving a silly answer to a serious question. "Well, the Bible starts flashing a red light and beeps at me - " and I made my best impression of the worst-sounding alarm.
The little theologian in her pink candy nightgown collapsed back on her pillow in a giggling heap. (Her giggles are the best, so I just have to be silly sometimes.)

"Actually," I said when we had sobered up, "That's why its so important to read the Bible, so that we can know what God wants us to do and what He doesn't want us to do."

Kids have all the time in the world to talk theology when you are tucking them in bed, so we talked about that for awhile more. Then she announced: "I HATE sin! I HATE Satan!" She stuck her little chin out and frowned most ferociously. "Tomorrow I'm going to be AWESOME! I'm going to obey even better than you THINK!"

Oh, my dear naïve child! You will not be awesome, and you will not surpass God's standards for obedience any day of your life on earth. Who will deliver you from this body of death? Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord! May He always help you to hate sin and Satan!
 (She doesn't always wear the pink candy nightgown. Because sometimes you just want to wear shorts with socks and slippers to bed, right?)