Sunday, March 20, 2022

NRHG Presents: Pilgrim's Progress

It was a privilege to be involved in a play production of John Bunyan's well known book, Pilgrim's Progress, put on by our local homeschool group this past weekend. 

We had started working on this over two years ago and were just a couple weeks away from production when we went into lockdowns for the first time. This school year we decided to try again. 
Bunyan's story was rewritten eight years ago by Charity Bylsma for a stage production by her own homeschool group. She graciously allowed us to reuse the script for our group, and we were also able to reuse the beautiful backdrops my dad (Klaas Stel, above) had painted for the original play.  
I am very thankful for Sharon's work in directing and Christine and Maria's work leading the music.

 There were also many, many other people that contributed to make this happen. Special thanks to our sound people, Toby & Sylvia, who had quite the challenge juggling all the mics for the final rehearsal and performances! 






After many practices and one long dress rehearsal :), the big night arrived:

Pilgrim's Progress

Oh God, you are my God
And I will ever praise you! 
...I will seek you in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

Sometimes I think of Abraham
How one star he saw had been lit for me
He was a stranger in this land
And I am that, no less than he
And on this road to righteousness
Sometimes the climb can be so steep
I may falter in my steps
But never beyond Your reach


"Once upon a time there was a man called Christian who lived in a city called Destruction..."




"I found and read this book. It... it has terrible news. One day, maybe soon, a terrible fire is going to sweep right through our city and destroy everything. And now I have this heavy burden. The author writes about treason - treason, wife! - and I realized that I am guilty of it. I think we are all guilty of betraying our King!"

Mr. Wiseman of the World:
"There is a fine man there - a friend of mine, in fact - whose name is Mr. Obey the Law. He's a fine fellow, and if you only do what he says, you'll have that burden off your back in no time."

Evangelist: 
"You ought to have listened to me, Christian. Did you think that you could do this thing on your own terms? There is only one way to be rid of your burden, and it is only by following the King's highway. 
That man you heard about, Mr. Obey the Law - well, he has never once removed someone's burden. Oh, he can appear reasonable and even righteous, but the truth is that the way you were walking leads only to death.
The good news is that it is not hopeless, and that is because there is One whose record is blameless - One whose record we can fall back on if we look to Him."


Oh that rugged cross 
My salvation
Where Your love poured out over me!
Now my soul cries out 
Hallelujah
Praise and honor unto Thee!

Now my debt is paid 
It is paid in full
By the precious blood
That my Jesus spilled
Now the curse of sin
Has no hold on me
Whom the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed!







We will stand as children of the promise
We will fix our eyes on Him our soul's reward
Till the race is finished and the work is done
We walk by faith and not by sight

In Doubting Castle:
"The two pilgrims leaned against their prison walls and continue to go over how they had disobeyed their King. Their guilt was overwhelming; and slowly after many, many lonely hours they began to despair of ever leaving..."

I hear the Saviour say
"Thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all."

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe.
Sin had left a crimson stain; 
He washed it white as snow

Meanwhile, Apollyon was suiting up backstage for the next attack on the pilgrims...

Apollyon: "What? Do you really think [the King] will welcome you? Don't be foolish! You both remember how even just now when it was dark, you nearly gave up and forgot His promises? Or how you, Christian, tried to get ride of your burden the wrong way? Or how you almost ran at the sight of lions?"

Christian: "You are right, and there are many other things you could mention..." 

Faithful: "But you have forgotten to mention the most important thing of all! Our Prince has paid the price for all those things he has done and will do."

"Apollyon transformed into his true horrific shape and fought Christian and Faithful in a desperate battle that lasted hours..."

When your enemy presses in hard to not fear
The battle belongs to the Lord
Take courage my friend, your redemption is near
The battle belongs to the Lord!





Evangelist: 
"Faithful! Christian! You've been in a battle!
Here, this will give you strength; it is food from the tree of life.
I am glad to see you have stayed on the right path even though it isn't always easy to walk on. It will get harder, you know. 
I know that a town called Vanity lies ahead and that her people hate Christ. They will be out for your blood."
"The town of Vanity was famous for its market, called Vanity Fair, where every kind of worthless pleasure was sold in order to tempt pilgrims from the path."











"I confess before you now that there is only one true God, and He alone is worth of all our loyalty. He freely offers life to all of you here. Simply repent and turn to Him!"
"Christian, it will be okay - do not fear for me. They may kill my body, but my life is safe, for it is hidden with Christ in God. He is stronger than death."

Christian: "Mr. Atheist, I'll lay odds you've never visited the sun, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I believe the sun exists not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

Atheist: "Foolish logic, that, my boy. If the Prince were real, He would show Himself to me now. I'd believe then." 

Christian: "If the Lord of heaven and earth were to suddenly appear right now, you still wouldn't believe. I have no doubt that instead you would scorn Him as a king for being at your beck and call."


"Is that - ? I think it is! It is the King's country! Oh, it is beautiful! Only a little farther now and I will be safely there." 

"The waters did not overwhelm Christian, for the arm of His Prince carried him. And then he was across, and what a welcome awaited him there! The gates were wide open, and the city rang for joy as the choirs of heaven burst into song. Christian had not arrived at the New Jerusalem because he had been a perfect pilgrim. (Although in the end he was made perfect!) He arrived there because once he had been brought to the cross, nothing could separate him from the love of God - not his own mistakes and not all the work of the devil or man. Christian may have stumbled, but the King he served never would. An thus Christian finally arrived home."


The grace of God has reached for me
And pulled me from the raging sea
And I am safe on this solid ground
The Lord is my salvation


And when I reach my final day
He will not leave me in the grave
But I will rise,
He will call me home
The Lord is my salvation



Who is like the Lord our God?
Strong to save, faithful in love
My debt is paid and the vict'ry won
The Lord is my salvation



Glory be to God the Father
Glory be to God the Son
Glory be to God the Spirit
The Lord is our salvation

Curtain Call




Orchestra

Cast & Choir




Many people have told me they were moved to tears by the story and music of the play. I believe that is because, as Andrew Peterson (one of my favorite musicians) likes to say, "The stories are true." 

The story of Pilgrim's Progress resonates deeply with God's redeemed people because it is the story of each one of us. The Lord is our salvation. Praise God, we are free!