Tuesday, November 2, 2021

School Days: The First Quarter



After the chaos and busyness of renos we have thoroughly enjoyed the coziness of restored order around here.

As our family grows up, I have increasing appreciation for God's wisdom in creating our children with very diverse interests. 
Joseph loves well-told tales and has fostered this love in the younger kids through lots of read-alouds and through bringing home age-appropriate literary gems from the library that I didn't know existed.

We like to think this guy is the next Norman Rockwell. If you want to get one of his early pieces (who knows? It may be worth something someday), you can help yourself to one from our recycling bin. 
(I stealthily add multitudinous masterpieces to that bin on a daily basis... :z)

With even our post-secondary students studying from home, there's almost always a crowd sharing this work space. It has its cozy moments; but we're a pretty noisy bunch, and I have to admit that often it just feels like a zoo.

I'm thankful for Bible Quizzing and other extra-curricular activities the kids have been able to be involved in this year!

After reading Becoming Elizabeth Elliot this summer, I was inspired to start a family newspaper. Will contributed the articles for the first edition. 

Applesauce Day 





Port D. remains one of our fave places to go for a walk. :)


The boys hanging out with their friends...


I must admit that throughout the addition project I was particularly looking forward to the day when I could sit down in it to do something so useless as assembling 1000 coloured jigsaw pieces and then taking them apart again. It's satisfying to paint walls and install flooring and make things that, when finished, one can reasonably hope will last longer than one minute... However, there is something restful - and indicative of a general state of restfulness - in doing something just fun & colourful & frivolous. 

Costume Party



Scenes around Town




  1. Oh, worship the King, all-glorious above,
    Oh, gratefully sing His pow’r and His love;
    Our Shield and Defender, the Ancient of Days,
    Pavilioned in splendor, and girded with praise.
  2. Oh, tell of His might, oh, sing of His grace,
    Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space;
    His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
    And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.
  3. Thy bountiful care, what tongue can recite?
    It breathes in the air, it shines in the light;
    It streams from the hills, it descends to the plain,
    And sweetly distills in the dew and the rain.
  4. Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail,
    In Thee do we trust, nor find Thee to fail;
    Thy mercies how tender, how firm to the end,
    Our Maker, Defender, Redeemer, and Friend!

-William Kethe