Thursday, April 30, 2020

Chapter VI: Motherhood Isn't All Roses


Something Must Be Done About These Children  

The kids are keeping me on my toes, figuratively speaking. Yesterday, I confess, I actually took to hiding behind the pages of my book for a little while so Willie wouldn't suspect that I was aware of his misdeeds. Alas, if I am aware of them I must deal with them, and so sometimes I would rather pretend oblivion. Now that I am a sleep-deprived mother of four I tell myself I deserve to indulge in such ploys on rare occasions.

Sleep-deprived. Yes - though waking up just in time to kiss the DH goodbye on his way out the door on his way to work doesn't sound much like it. But waking up in the nights for Wills is taking its toll, and still worse, two rascals by the names of Jo and Jim are waking up earlier and earlier every day, it seems. This morning the sounds of them playing in the basement intruded on my subconscious at 5:30 am. That was when I decided something really had to be done about this problem. I said as much to M, and then fluffed my pillow with a huff and went back to sleep.


Oh, for Peace through the Age-Long Minute!

Blogging, for me, is usually a time to reflect on the joys of mothering. I hope most of the little anecdotes about the children that I share reflect how much I love being a mother. However, the bed of roses does have its thorns. I’m not just talking about the duplo and dinky cars currently strewn all over my once pleasant-looking living room. You hear about that sort of thing all the time because it’s part of the fun and I like preserving the memories of the good times.

What I’m not sure I want to preserve are the memories of the worrisome times. Worry is the worst sort of ailment a mother can be afflicted with. It eats at your insides, affects your temper, and disturbs your sleep. Don’t speak to me when I’m worried because my mind will be a million miles away, circling around and around the great and terrible mountain of “what ifs”.

This isn’t like worrying about getting your tooth pulled out. We’re talking about our children - whose lives we love more than our own, and whose souls we so desperately want to guard for the Lord. Christian mothers, you know the kind of fears I’m talking about.

My husband has had to remind me on occasion that worry is sin. In times of crisis I’m afraid his admonition sounds in my ears like the platitudes of one oblivious to the depth of the crisis. His apparently carefree analysis, “Everything seems okay to me,” intended to set my mind at ease, doesn’t usually relieve me from worrying.

We can go to the doctor, ransack the vitamin cupboard, research, analyze, discuss, and monitor, but all the remedies we throw at the problem will not cure our worry. It resurfaces again and again with each new crisis.

Alas, there will be new crises. You moms know the futility of trying to prevent every illness and accident, every behavioural and spiritual battle... And I’m sure with a houseful of ruffians :) there will be many future occasions for me to do battle with worry.

So what can I do with my worry?

I can take it to the Lord in prayer. And I can read the promises in His Word - again and again. Because I’m like one who looks in a mirror and then goes away and immediately forgets what he saw... and I'm like Peter who sank the moment he took his eyes off the Lord.

The Psalms are just the medicine I need in a crisis, because they get to the root of my worry – which is, forgetfulness of God’s promise to do all things for my good (and sometimes, too, a fear of man rather than a fear of God). Pretty much a random opening to any Psalm ends up being a reminder to me that God is on my side – and absolutely nothing could happen that will not be for my good. He is sovereign even over the worst possible scenario I could imagine. (And believe me, I have a good imagination!)

“Hold us in quiet through the age-long minute
While Thou art silent , and the wind is shrill.
Can the boat sink while Thou, dear Lord, art in it?
Can the heart faint that waiteth on Thy will?”
Amy Carmichael


Mom Brain is Real

An Apology to my Friends – If I have Any Left

If you've ever invited us over and we haven't shown up, I regret to confess that it may be because I've forgotten the engagement. It is not because I don't value a visit with you - I do, I really do!

And if you have been invited here and I've managed to forget just how greatly we were anticipating your coming - please don't take it personally! I do indeed love to visit with you, and I was, in fact, really looking forward to it.... until I forgot all about it.

However lame my excuses may sound, I think if you knew all, you might have more pity than blame for me in your hearts. The fact is, I think I must have sustained acute brain cell loss from my four pregnancies... Either that, or I've got Pooh Bear Syndrome - because, you know, the more Poor Bear stories I read aloud to the kids the more I feel I can identify with that bear of very little brain. :z

Surely some of you moms know the feeling. Tell me I'm not alone! Haven't you ever forgotten important information? And have you never found yourself doing and saying strange things? Things like:
  • putting the baby's bib on your 7 year old daughter 
  • exhorting your son (whose tendency is to fall off his seat throughout the meal) to sit with his bum right in the middle of his plate
  • telling the kids over and over to stop eating with their mouths full 
  • …adding, "and use your fingers!" (meaning, use your spoon :z)
  • packing a sippy cup in your husband's lunch
  • earnestly entreating your five year old, "please... just tell me my name!!"
Well, hopefully none of you have actually been driven to seek confirmation of your identity from your kindergartener. I know that incident seems to suggest that I've lost it completely, but my case is really not that bad (yet). The boys were having a relational problem, and what could be more natural than to suggest that instead of battling it out, they call me? "Tell me my name"..."call me"... anyone could have gotten those two confused. 

More concerning, perhaps, was the forgetfulness of my own son's birthday. I think I know it now, thanks to having looked it up on the calendar several times since that embarrassing day in the park when a stranger asked me when in November he was born, and I floundered about endlessly, unable to recall just what day it was. That lady had her doubts about my competency as a mother, I fear.

Then there's the trouble I have with the children's names. This mainly happens when I'm attempting to avert disaster and there's no time to waste with the superfluous analysis of who I'm addressing:

"Slim - Slow!"

(Slim is Jim, of course - "SlimJim":), and Jo - well, he used to be "Flo", but so often I had to correct myself when I had started saying "Slim", that his name came out as "Slow". Poor fellow - is it any wonder he dawdles?)

But there are, too, the times I just want to summon my dear children (those sweet duckies…) to come to me, and wind up calling, "Come, my Bukkies!"

(I admit that I allow a disconcerting variety of nicknames around here, but since the word "bukkies" is what we use to describe all that is gross and untouchable, even I draw the line on that one.)

So please, friends, bear with me. I really would love to have you come for a visit! If I forget to put the salt in the soup, don't be embarrassed to ask me to pass the shaker. I'll have to get it from the cupboard, probably - because I'm not likely to remember to have set it on the table. I'd also be happy to pass you the necessary cuttlery, glasses, drinks, and other side dishes that I have forgotten to set out. Nay more, when coffee time comes... and goes.... hesitate not to inquire as to the whereabouts of the coffee... and feel free to make enough for all the other guests as well! My mother does it all the time!!

What a great mom - she even sometimes calls to remind me when I have important upcoming engagements, like leading ladies Bible study. Except for last time, that is. When the ladies all looked at me expectantly, I just stared blankly back at them…

Not surprisingly, Mom tried to take all the blame for this instance. :D  

Unfortunately, such proofs of Mom Brain could go on until the present day. Over the years I’ve found it’s most often crises that bring on them on. Once, when Jo had done something that endangered one of his little siblings, the mama bear in me was aroused to her full fury. As he started to try to explain himself with the time-worn “but I thought –“, this impressive admonition burst from the muddled storehouse of my parental wisdom:

“Joseph! Don’t ever THINK without asking Mom!”


Your Children Shall be like Olive Plants All Around Your Table

After six years of childrearing M and I are still naive enough to suppose that we might be able to carry on a pleasant conversation over dinner. We should know by now how futile it is to attempt to discuss adult matters between doling out the food, eating and feeding, and minding not just our own but everybody else’s manners. The conversation is inevitably peppered with such exhortations as “sit up straight”, “lean over your plate”, “take another bite”, “take your fingers out of your food”, and “don’t hold onto your tongue when you cough”. Inevitably the four-year-old spills down the front of his shirt. Inevitably the two-year-old whines and will not eat a bite, because he perceives in his bowl a shortage of the Ye-sauce (applesauce) which is so necessary in rendering mommy’s cooking palatable. Inevitably Baby (a sucker for punishment) insists on standing right in front of Jim’s highchair where Jim can conveniently kick him in the face and knock him over. Inevitably Jims finds this highly amusing, and leaves off whining over his food to giggle at the hapless Babes. Inevitably Jo lets us know with a shriek that his foot has fallen asleep, and in a royal panic he climbs out of his booster and starts running laps. Inevitably Anneke asks for a second helping just as I am settled down at last to eat my first. Inevitably the din and clamor rises, as all at once each one has a very interesting thing to say (or “three things very dull indeed”.) So much for our adult analysis of important life issues. The conversation that suffered a hundred interruptions throughout the course of the meal now dissolves entirely, as plates need scraping, and kids (chomping at the bit for some playtime before bed) need reining in for family devotions.

A favorite author, Elizabeth Prentiss, wrote that she didn’t want her children to be “toned down”, but to be as “happy as crickets!” That has long inspired me to enjoy the bustle and busyness of a houseful. However, as the chaos mounts I suspect that I’ve overrated the whole “happy as crickets” notion. 

Psalm 128 paints a pleasant picture of children “like olive plants all around your table.” That’s right - nice, quiet, olive plants.  

Somewhere along the way I think we missed the boat.