Friday, April 24, 2020

Chapter II: The Brick House in the Big City



I was eager to get to the Price Chopper tonight, ostensibly for groceries, but really to boost my box supply. I nearly whooped aloud in my excitement when I saw the collection they had! Toilet paper boxes! Detergent boxes! Gatorade! ReadyPac! Large, small, long, square - a mover's delight! I nonchalontly strode out of the store with my cart stacked to just below the lintel level on the sliding exit doors. I felt a little conspicious in the parking lot though, when my boxes started sliding, some to the left, some to the right, and some right out in front of the wheels of my cart! It was a "if only I had 4 arms about 6 feet long each" moment; I think I ended up walking in front of the cart in a sort of embrace with the upper level of boxes, though how I managed to then propel the whole apparatus to the car, I can't say.

The Lord had provided a home for us in Brampton after all. 

We were thankful - though it was with some sadness that we exchanged our small town property for one that backed onto a busy six-lane road.


Of the Baby of the Family

My little Jem is the pet of the family. I can tell Anneke is pretty proud of him, as I've overheard her offering to her friends the opportunity to stroke his "so soft" head. The other day when I observed, "Babies are so loveable, eh?" she voiced the usually unspoken familial prejudice by responding doubtfully, "But I don't know if other babies are..."

Childhood Trauma

Anneke has long since been scared of a preview of The Muppet Show at the beginning on one of her Winnie the Pooh videos, and Jo has done his level best to be as scared and distraught about it as she. He has, in fact, never seen it, except in fast forward, (which I have done for her sake since before he was born); but all through the fast-forwarding he stares at the screen fascinated, while uttering in the low tones of extreme pathos, "Don't like dat one, mommy, don't like dat one!" 

Well, as you can imagine, life jogged along calmly enough as long as mom was always on hand to fast forward at the appropriate spot on the video. But the crisis came when one day I thought I had put on our other Pooh video - one without previews - and had left them alone to watch it. Five minutes later I heard a parade of terrified crying children coming from the depths of the basement, up both flights of stairs to the office.

"Didn't like dat one, mommy, Didn't like dat one!" was Jo's eloquent description of the terror both he and Anneke felt when all at once the Muppets flashed across the TV screen. As I began my motherly attempt to comfort and console, I noticed that Jo had caught a glimpse of his face in the mirror and had moved closer for a better look. I could see his large orbs taking in the whole pathetic sight: his tear stained cheeks and bottom lip both protruding and trembling. As he gazed, he stuck that lip out still further, then whispered in a cracked and quavering voice to his reflection, "Didn't like dat one, Mommy."

Christmas 2006

This is it! The big day! The day for which we've been counting down "big sleeps”! Today M gets off at noon, we open stockings, and we have a special dinner! Anneke has been brimful of excitement, and I am particularly excited myself this year because she is! For quite some time she has been orchestrating the filling of the stockings, being sure to include in Mom and Dad's many homemade notes, with phonetically spelled words like "Chrismus" scrawled over them, and with countless drawings of smiling people in long robes. Of course I'm supposed to "forget" having had any previous glimpses of these. The contents of Jim's stocking, too, may look slightly familiar to him - toys from the chest downstairs, which he hasn't played with in a while. The fact that Anneke and Joseph's stockings have been empty up till recently has not seemed to concern them much. Now there is something soft and squishy in the bottom of each one - "something that feels like a kleenex" - and they are both exercising amazing self-control in not peeking to ascertain that it is not, indeed, just that and no more. However, I do not want to tempt them beyond what they are able to bear, so I will not put anything more in the stockings until they are gone this afternoon. M is taking them to the Dollarama so Jo can buy something for me with the dollar he earned doing dusting. Anneke already bought something for Daddy, but she wants to go along to help Jo since she fears he will buy me a toy if he is not carefully supervised. This will give me the opportunity not only to fill stockings, but to hide clues and presents (Anneke and Jo each get the first clue for a "treasure hunt" in their stocking, then they have to hunt down their present).

Anneke is just bursting with great ideas to make this event extra special; I know a fresh idea is coming whenever I hear a small gasp (as if amazed at her own ingenuity), followed by, "Mom! I have a great idea!!"

Some of her ideas were:

"Maybe for dinner we should put a blanket on the table (or whatever you call those things!) and turn out all the big lights and light the candles!"

"Maybe we should have some dessert after dinner!"

"Maybe you should have a break from doing work and I can do it instead because I like to help!"

"Maybe Daddy and Jo and Anna should watch movies while you do some work!"


Additional comment added after the Big Event:

All came off well... except for Anneke not liking one present - a problem quickly solved by quickly offering it to Jo to be his "special toy".


Bedtime

It is, overall, a joy to watch our kids throughout the day. But there is something pleasant about tucking them into their beds, praying with them, receiving some goodnight kisses and hugs (fierce ones from Anna, gentle ones from Jo, and just a cuddle and a wiggle from Jims), and knowing that we have a quiet, peaceful, undisturbed evening ahead of us…

...Right?

Enter Anneke… attempting to hide a smile and failing entirely.

“I have a bit of a sore eye,” she mumbles in a barely audible voice, the ever present goofy grin revealing that this is the latest ploy for coming out of bed.

Enter Joseph, five feet behind. There is an expectant pause as I await his explanation.

“Uh…I have a bit of a sore eye.”

His speech may not always be articulate, yet he manages to convey genuine pathos in his very tone, and in the droop of his head. And while Anneke abandons the façade immediately and runs merrily back to bed, he makes his way back up the stairs slowly, nursing his sore eye all the way by poking at it with a stubby finger. I mentally credit him for being the better faker of the two.

As for James, that model child, that Gem of a Jim… he was all the while re-enacting “The Charge of the Light Brigade” in his crib. Mark my words; he would have been out with a sore eye too if he were able!


At Home with my Kiddies During the Great Spring Exodus

Well, mi familia, I thought I should write you one last epistle before you all go off to have a marvelous time in Florida... together... without us. Anneke proudly told Brad yesterday that she saw Florida on a map of the world, in a tone that implied that seeing it on a map was every bit as good (or better) than going there. Later she told me she was glad she wasn't going for such a long drive because it isn't very cosy in the car - "it's much cosier at home". As for Jo, it's as good as sitting at the seashore taking in some rays, when he can sit outside the west wall of the house, and bask in the warm winds from the dryer vent while sinking deep down into the muddy puddle created there by the melted snow. And with the sun shining full on Jim’s own cosy bed in his own cosy room, could he possibly ask for more?

So you see, at least half our family is well satisfied with staying here, in Ontoronto, Brampton Street, located in the world (such is Anneke's vague idea of where we live, imparted as fact to Joseph).