Saturday, May 2, 2020

Chapter VIII: The Wings of Imagination



Little Mother


Friday Afternoon Vignette

The voices wafted over to me from the living room.

"Anna, all the animals are going to church now."

"No, Jo - animals don't go to church!"

"But I'm just fertending they do."

The commentary continued as they scampered downstairs, returning in formal church attire (a floor length gown and shawl for Anneke, and a knee length vest for Jo, from their supply of dress-up clothes).

Jo was saying, "The animals are all listening to me because I'm the minister." He added, "A minister usually uses big words, but they can understand me because I don't use big words."

Apparently they were just on time for church, for they were barely seated when minister and parishioner joined their voices in hearty song.

At the sound of singing, Jim came at a run.

"Wait for me! Wait for me! I need to get my dress on!"

That's Jim's usual way of saying that he needs to dress. (It's a logical error to make, really.) However, he did indeed grab a dress from the basement - and a flowered one at that - and came up with it wrapped unceremoniously around his person. Of course he had to hang onto it for dear life, since it was in danger of sliding off with every step (and indeed seemed likely to trip and send him flying at any moment). But apparently when one is late for church one cannot be overly-particular as to the mode of dressing, and the subsequent hazards must be borne bravely.

"I want to sing! I want to sing!" He begged in his sweet, childish voice.

Obligingly, the congregation began again, more lustily than ever:

"Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee!
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty!
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!"

I sneaked a peek through the doorway, to see their three beaming faces. Such glimpses may be all in a day's work for a mother, but they never grow old. Indeed, I look forward to enjoying scenes of this sort for all eternity!


2009 caption for photo series featuring excited children eating bowlfuls of millet:

These children don't see millet - they see sand. They don't see bowls - they see cliffs, rising up around the sand. They don't see a puddle of milk - they see a Lake.

Rock Lake, to be precise.

In 2.5 days we hope to be sitting by the real Rock Lake, and anticipation is riding high, obviously. Getting into the spirit of things, I even thought about getting out some broccoli to add a few little trees along the millet shores. But we were all out of broccoli, much to the kid's disappointment.

Jo wanted to know if there are bathrooms at the cottage. When you're five, and you haven't been at the cottage for ten months, you have this hazy recollection of Utopia, but the details are fuzzy. He does remember that at the cottage there is water, and a cottage.

I remember - with pleasant nostalgia - sunshine, long swims, Bean, leisurely chats, babies on the beach, and baked goods containing chocolate and peanut butter.

This Utopian destination flowing with chocolate and peanut butter is the cottage my parents bought the year M & I were married. Every year since, we have had the privilege of spending at least a week at Rock Lake Lodge with my family and typically a week with M’s family as well.

What rich memories we have from twenty years of these family vacations!  


This was the inaugural year of Rockville, inspired by the AIO series called "Kidsborough"- a society established by kids, for kids, to help teach them about government, economics, etc.

Thursday morning we heard the candidates’ speeches. There were some pretty impressive promises about protecting pedestrians from drunk boaters, and improving the eating of donuts, and about no longer being "mean”. But it was Meg, who simply said she wanted to make Rockville a society established on the Fruit of the Spirit, who ended up winning the mayorship.

Following the election, most of the residents of Rockville headed for the high, rocky ground to build their homes. They were each given $10 which which to start life in Rockville.

Businesses began to spring up all over the place. Jesse sold frogs, until he was forced to close shop when he sold his one and only frog to JM. JM and the little boys sold boat rides, Jenna sold blueberries (4 for $1), and Kris and Beka opened a spa. Non-residents (the grown-ups) could have their hair and nails done for free... at their own risk. There was one lawsuit launched by a Rockville resident against the spa for messy nail-polish application; the judge awarded the custumer the solitary dollar she had spent at the spa, and that was that.

JM was really entrepreneurial, I thought, with his boat building business. He nailed together various scraps of wood from the workship into a whole batch of cute little boats which the kids thought were just great. If they didn't actually float, that was okay, because Opa fixed them up for free!

Anneke had walk-in-clinic for bug bites, cuts or burns. She also picked wild raspberries, and walked around with them in the little basket she had made in craft class. They were a steal at five for a dollar.  

She and Jo also set up a candy store which was a big hit, since paper money (especially Rockville currency) doesn't mean much to a kid compared with real, tangible, edible, candy!

Just when business was at its peak in the candy store, Jay (who, as far as I know, had been spending freely but couldn't make up her mind to undertake any business) called from a neighbouring picnic table, "FREE candy over here!"

So Anna and Jo lost a few customers - nay more, Jo lost his business partner as Anna ran off to see if there was any left for her! (There wasn't.) When Anneke came back there was still a few faithful custumers shelling out their money at her store, either oblivious to the free sale next door, or happier to play the game of buying and selling.


Random Quotes

"I like taking piglet to bed better 'cause he doesn't say 'warr' in the night".
- Jims, when faced with the choice between taking a stuffed Piglet, Pooh, or Tigger to bed.

"Pretend it's a really funny TV show!"
- the Kids, sitting in front of an empty box that had a plastic window in the side, having been introduced to the concept of TV while visiting the neighbour.


Little Folks at Play

Jo and Jim were arguing, and finally Jo appealed to me:

"Mom, Jim says firemen catch bad guys. But mom, do firemen catch bad guys?"

"Not usually. The police do that."

"Huh?" Jim couldn't believe it. He had it on authority from his cousin that firemen go after the bad guys.

"Well, maybe your cousin didn't know," I said diplomatically.

"Huh?" he said again in his favorite high pitched tone of incredulity. "But he's ten!"

"Well..." I said, looking for a quick but simple ending to the argument. "But I'm thirty!"

(To answer or not to answer a fool according to his folly; that is not a mystery a multi-tasking housewife should be expected to unravel at a moment's notice. Nor, for that matter, should she be expected to be able to spout off her age accurately.)

"Huh?" retorted the broken record. "But I thought you were thirteen!"

(I'm old enough to appreciate if someone thinks I look younger than I am, but this is going too far. Especially since Jim thinks Maurice is a hundred!)

The kids resumed their play, and I heard Jo, in a deep, booming voice, declare, "Okay, Mister, you're coming with me. You're being tooken to jail!"

Crazy, squealing sound effects as boys and dinky cars race around and around the room.

"It's a crash!"

"No, it's a fire! ...No, it's a crash and a fire!"

Several seconds of cacophony, followed by, "Phew.... it's out. Thank-you! Thank-you!!"

Then Jo, a.k.a the police, resumed his deep bass voice.

"Who made that crash? Mister, I'm going to have to give you a credit card. I mean... I mean... oh yeah! I mean, a ticket."

I love little folks' talk.