I do plan to finish the tale of our island adventure, but meanwhile life has rolled along, and we've celebrated an anniversary! We thank the Lord for the 16 years He's given us together... and also for the sweet kids who helped us celebrate. They wanted us to go out for another date, and of course we were happy to oblige. :)
This time we were commissioned to come home on time for dinner. It didn’t take too much imagination to figure out what that meant, and before we went out the older kids privately consulted me on a few of the details.
This time we were commissioned to come home on time for dinner. It didn’t take too much imagination to figure out what that meant, and before we went out the older kids privately consulted me on a few of the details.
I must say I wondered how they’d pull it off. Though they help me in many
ways, they haven’t done much cooking, particularly without oversight. Plus they
would have the baby on their hands; though I had offered to take him along, they
claimed “they really needed him!” (???)
As we arrived back from our outing about two minutes ahead of the
pre-arranged time, M and I worried that the kids wouldn’t be ready for us. But
no – as we stepped out of the car, the smallest, dapper-est moustached and
bow-tied Maitre d’ stepped out of the house to welcome us. Yes, there were muted
sounds of hurried commotion coming from the kitchen (and some added scrambling
as I begged for my camera :))
but we were allowed in.
Here was Zay’s big moment. (The reason they really needed him, I suppose.)
He was announced: “The Cutest Zay-Bear!” and was released from the kitchen to
come crawling down the hall to us. He was wearing his moustache-covered
cowboy-style bib, in keeping with the general theme.
This establishment had serious style.
When we were seated, the whole gang paraded in, singing “Happy Birthday”
(accompanied by another moustached young man on guitar), and presented us with a
platter of cards and candy. The handwritten menu offered plenty of
selection, but I immediately ruled out the Poison Ivy Salad, Tarantula Pizza, and
other nasty-sounding dishes, and opted for something safe and familiar: Mom’s Souper
Soup with a side of Garlic Bread. M settled for Papa’s Special Spaghetti, since
they were out of Dinosaur Meatloaf. The ever-attentive Maitre d’ took our
orders, and the food was served almost immediately. Throughout the meal The Cutest Bear sat displayed in his high chair for our amusement. We were further entertained by a graceful dancer accompanied by the moustached classical
guitarist.
(Above, the dancing lady is just a blur in the backround...)
Then we read the little love-notes from the children – sweet and/or
chock-full of details that brought tears of amusement to my eyes. In one was a
pair of stick people labelled “mom” and “Willy”, with the “mom” figure treading
a fine line between hugging and throttling the “Willy” figure – whose hair, not
surprisingly, was standing on end, but who was smiling nevertheless. He “hops” I
will have many more years. Another card was lovingly signed “James and”. Beside
this abrupt ending, the name “Marike” was still discernable under a determined
erasing effort. Apparently the idea of making a card together went south, and
(word had it) not only did she refuse to sign her own name, but she actually
threatened to cut up the card. Consequently, her image was also fiercely rubbed
out from the accompanying illustration, and just Jim and I in stick form
remained, holding hands and smiling broadly. Meanwhile, she had made her own
card, complete with balloons and the observation: “57 mom you are rilly
old!”
Lastly, all the restaurant staff, including the chef, joined us at the table to finish up the
meal with us. It was a little out of the ordinary (especially as they also
required M to share his dessert with them ;))
but all in all, I would say we found Six Kids Catering to be one of our best
dining experiences ever.